[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving could be counter productive

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Tue Oct 5 02:55:10 PDT 2010

Stephen Williams wrote on 10/4/2010 9:43 AM:
> Add this to to the apparent fact that the laws against talking on the
> phone while driving (without a headset / hands free device) probably
> caused more people to switch to texting in the first place, and you have
> a classic case of unintended consequences biting you in the butt.

Yes, but humans are generally uncoordinated creatures with a death wish.
So why are they still allowed to do the driving in 2010? You can
autopilot a spacecraft between planets, but getting a 4 wheeled vehicle
(you don't even have to balance it!) across town, on paved roads no
less, is too hard. Not because it is hard tech, but because of lawyers.

If you have a problem dodging texters, stay off the road! I only have to
dodge them 2-3 times per trip these days, once every 10 miles or so one
of them drifts out of their lane or some other fun maneuver.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/