[FoRK] New types of web auctions / scams

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Fri Oct 8 17:23:49 PDT 2010

At 19:56 08 10 10, Stephen Williams wrote:

>There are plenty of clues to the huckster nature, including the fake
>Local TV channel-like web site pushing it:
>http://www.news4channel.com/Tech/V2/004.asp?Network=16&It=3&TRUID-7A69F578-66C1-4362-B3B0-5F819D1DE25C=f2cf7fef-33df-4047-9406-1e9f61178996
>
>http://www.wavee.com

Wavee, huh. You could have been describing http://www.plundr.com,
Plundr adds a twist: they put bid-packs of 10, 25, 50, and 100
bids up for auction also.

I watched a FujiFilm digital camera sell, for just over $15.00.
(it was actually $16 and change IIRC).

$15.00 is 1,500 penny-bids, each bid costing the bidder about
60 cents (not accounting for bid-packs won at auction). So that
means Plundr grossed over $900.00 on a camera they reported as
having a retail price of $229.00.

P.T. Barnum was right. @@

Reese