[FoRK] Google's Self-Driving Car

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 11 21:13:58 PDT 2010

  Thrun is at Google. Last I knew, he was in the AI dept. at Stanford. Perhaps he does both?

My take is that Google is going to parlay uber-streetview data into a database that will be crucial to enabling safe self-driving
cars. With detailed and up to date road, obstruction, and building information all registered with GPS and image data, a
self-driving car becomes feasible. You can combine several channels of information while doing SLAM (simultaneous location and
mapping, I have Thrun's expensive book) in a way that provides a cross-check of your situational understanding. The final, safety
enabling piece is vision recognition of buildings, scenes, road components along with movable objects like other cars, pedestrians, etc.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/googles-self-driving-car-whats-in-it-for-google/2529?tag=nl.e550