[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 20 21:57:49 PDT 2010

--- On Wed, 10/20/10, Russell Turpin <russell.turpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's really an odd bifurcation here. Many of those turning 60, 70,
> and 80 are living better than past generations, taking advantage both
> of medical advances and knowledge about how to age well. Others are
> succumbing to to the temptations of modern life.

Just curious, not challenging ... Why do you think that's odd? It seems to me quite the norm that some folks look after themselves and lots don't. At any age. But that's just my perception from personal observation and various reports in the media over the past couple of decades.

I think the main difference today, versus, say, my parents day and even my own youth, is that today almost everyone has to intentionally avoid an unhealthy lifestyle as a significant act of will. In past generations the majority had no choice because much/most of work and other aspects of life were physical and there was less availability of unhealthy packaged food.

 ...ken...