[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Oct 20 23:57:03 PDT 2010

On 10/20/10 9:57 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Wed, 10/20/10, Russell Turpin<russell.turpin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> There's really an odd bifurcation here. Many of those turning 60, 70,
>> and 80 are living better than past generations, taking advantage both
>> of medical advances and knowledge about how to age well. Others are
>> succumbing to to the temptations of modern life.
>>
> Just curious, not challenging ... Why do you think that's odd? It seems to me quite the norm that some folks look after themselves and lots don't. At any age. But that's just my perception from personal observation and various reports in the media over the past couple of decades.

I think the only former bright spot was the need for a lot of physical labor, for both sexes.  But they stopped it as soon as
they could, smoked and drank like crazy, went into a fast decline, and died of various ailments before their fitness wore off
completely.  It happened, but the bottom didn't get hit so long before they died as it does now.

> I think the main difference today, versus, say, my parents day and even my own youth, is that today almost everyone has to intentionally avoid an unhealthy lifestyle as a significant act of will. In past generations the majority had no choice because much/most of work and other aspects of life were physical and there was less availability of unhealthy packaged food.

Many can avoid exercise easily now, so that definitely takes decisions and effort.  Smoking is far easier to avoid than it was.
(I realized recently that the overriding reason that smoking should be outlawed in as many places as possible (restaurants,
bars, etc.) it will decrease the add rate.  Any inconvenience to existing smokers is worth any significant decrease in new
addiction.)

As for packaged food, I don't see it.  Depends on what packaged food you are talking about.  In any case, eating fried meat,
fried potatoes, fried+buttered vegetables, fried desert, etc. was certainly not better than 80% of current packaged food.

Anyway, I'll repeat my suggestion: Start and keep running!
Lea and I ran the San Jose Half a couple weeks ago.