[FoRK] IPv4 @ <5% capacity

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Thu Oct 21 00:23:54 PDT 2010

It was thus said that the Great Stephen Williams once stated:
>  On 10/20/10 1:40 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> >Eugen Leitl wrote on 10/20/2010 12:56 PM:
> >>So who of you is dual-stack already? Or in the plans?
> >>Domestically, too?
> >
> >The end hosts are fine, Win/OSX/Lin are all fine, but it's all the cheap
> >routers near the edges are foobar. My DSL modem doesn't have IPv6.
> >Stanford doesn't even support IPv6 yet. But Asia seems to be almost ready
> >because they can plan more than 3 months out.
> >
> >So this is gonna suck.
> >
> I have been waiting for a couple years now for my colo ISP to support IPv6,
> however they don't seem to be interested at all.  I was on IPv6 at work for
> a while, but no more.
>
> I've seen nothing from Comcast or ATT about it.

  Working at a webhosting company [1] I would love to switch to IPv6, but
the major stumbling block now is our current stock of Cisco routers; out of
about eight, only two have the required IOS [2] to support IPv6, and
frankly, we can't afford to upgrade [3] the rest of our routers.  And I
suspect this is half the issue with current ISPs here in the States---it's
too damned expensive to upgrade all the infrastructure [4].

  The other issue is renumbering.  Every.  Damn.  Device.  On.  The.
Network.  Our eight routers?  Probably close to a hundred routing entries to
update.  Plus update all our computers.  Plus reconfiguring DNS, SNMP, SMTP,
HTTP, NTP, FTP, POP, IMAP, syslog, plus any number of other services I'm
probably forgetting.  Expensive *and* time consuming.  Could we have been
working on this for the past year or two?  Yeah, except our Cisco routers
don't support IPv6 yet ... (oh, that reminds, me, Radius, DHCP [5] ... )

> We're going to need a killer app.

  There *is* a killer app---true peer-to-peer networking; you know, what we
had *before* the abomination that is known at NAT.  But that gets rid of a
bunch of middle-men, decentralizes control and does expose Windows to a raw
view of the Internet.

  -spc (Even my less-than-six-month old Cisco wireless router has problems
	with IPv6 ... grrrrrrr ... )

[1]	Part time now, as both myself and the owner now working at another
	company in their telephony switch programming department.

[2]	The operating system on Cisco routers

[3]	legally that is.

[4]	The thing about Cisco routers is---they keep on working.  And
	working.  And working.  So there's no real incentive to fix what
	isn't broken.

[5]	There's no reason for this under IPv6, but it's there anyway.  Sigh.