[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 21 11:44:09 PDT 2010

--- On Thu, 10/21/10, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Anyway, I'll repeat my suggestion: Start and keep running!
> Lea and I ran the San Jose Half a couple weeks ago.
>
> sdw

I'm more than half convinced that it's proselytizing attitudes like that that turn many folks off. I support the need for regular healthy exercise. I don't support any notion that running is the only thing. From my own personal experience, it's too painful and harmful to too many parts of my body to be something I would ever do regularly, voluntarily. It was fine when I was younger and more resilient but no longer. The constant pounding on feet and leg joints is more than my pain threshold can stand.

It has to be something a person can embrace. I walk 7km around a golf course carrying my 25lb golf bag 5 days a week. That's a decent start and it's something I'm motivated to do. I can't relate to, and can barely understand, someone who is addicted to running any more than a non-golfer can relate to what I love to do.

The difference is that I don't proselytize.

In my view, the whole world would be in better physical and mental shape if we would all take up square dancing. Seriously.

           ...ken...