[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Oct 23 13:12:46 PDT 2010

On 10/21/10 11:44 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Thu, 10/21/10, Stephen Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'll repeat my suggestion: Start and keep running!
>> Lea and I ran the San Jose Half a couple weeks ago.
>>
>> sdw
>>
> I'm more than half convinced that it's proselytizing attitudes like that that turn many folks off. I

You mean like my teenagers are turned off when I suggest that they work hard at school, go for an interesting and viable
profession, brush their teeth, get exercise before they gain weight and can't concentrate or regulate their emotions, etc.?

I'm sure I'm petulant in a number of situations, however I'm close to fact-based overall.  If backflips were proven to reduce a
middle-aged belly, I'd be giving it a good try.

Being discriminating and well informed is very important.  Don't believe all that is stated or implied.  However, being turned
off by people / PSAs giving facts is teenagerish.  (Smoking being the prime example of this dynamic.)

> support the need for regular healthy exercise. I don't support any notion that running is the only thing. From my own personal experience, it's too painful and harmful to too many parts of my body to be something I would ever do regularly, voluntarily. It was fine when I was younger and more resilient but no longer. The constant pounding on feet and leg joints is more than my pain threshold can stand.

Running's not the only thing, however it has some characteristics that make it a better recommendation than just about anything
else.  Kayaking, for instance, is kind of the waist-up equivalent to running, however unless you live near the beach in Hawaii
or Carpenteria, you're not likely to have the time and opportunity to get out as consistently.  Few things besides running
combine the consistent cardio workout, strength training, and consistent ability to do it.  There's hardly anything that need
stop you from running (sheets of ice or snow if you don't have snowshoes).

As for pounding, once your body is in shape, it shouldn't be a problem.  In fact, your bones get stronger because of the
pounding.  One major contributor to osteoporosis is lack of stress on your bones which is needed to signal where bone remodeling
needs to lay down new bone after the removal phases.  That is exactly why being weightless in space is such a physical
deterioration problem.  You want to stress and pound your body to a certain extent so that it will remodel to be strong.  Of
course, you don't want to do more than the desired micro-fractures and actually get a stress fracture or worse.

And, as pointed out a while ago, it's been found that joints also benefit from consistent running: runners, without serious
injuries, have the best joint condition and least pain in old age.

> It has to be something a person can embrace. I walk 7km around a golf course carrying my 25lb golf bag 5 days a week. That's a decent start and it's something I'm motivated to do. I can't relate to, and can barely understand, someone who is addicted to running any more than a non-golfer can relate to what I love to do.

Doing anything that gives you a workout helps.  But different things have different limits of effectiveness, either by nature or
convention.

> The difference is that I don't proselytize.

Wrong word I think.  I associate that with trying to build your tribe which further your goals with at most one level of
removal: Making your church or political party bigger.  I could only benefit in a very indirect way by you becoming more
healthy, in addition to keeping a friend around much longer and happier.  I prefer to think of it as sharing conclusions and
insight that I'm pretty sure of that would benefit a lot of people.  (While those proselytizing for their church have a similar
sounding motive, it is not the same.)  The government just reported that it now appears that between 1/5th and 1/3rd of the
population will may have diabetes by 2050 (from 1/10th now).
http://www.kspr.com/sns-ap-cdc-diabetesupdate,0,7092780.story
> The growth in U.S. diabetes cases has been closely tied to escalating obesity
> <http://www.kspr.com/topic/health/physical-conditions/obesity-HEDAI0000057.topic> rates.

> In my view, the whole world would be in better physical and mental shape if we would all take up square dancing. Seriously.

Noted.