[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Oct 23 14:10:33 PDT 2010

On 10/23/10 2:05 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Sat, 10/23/10, Stephen Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>
>> ... Yada yada yada ...
>>
>> KG>  The difference is that I don't proselytize.
>>
>> Wrong word I think. ...
>>
> That might be the case in your own mind but it's not the way you come across. You may think you are promoting exercise but, instead, at every opportunity you preach at us about the Goodness Of Running as the best and most effective form of exercise.
>
> Even that wouldn't be so bad if you resisted the urge to hyperbolize. E.g. first you refer to kayaking as upper body running (a correct analogy, in my estimation, because each pretty much ignores the other half of the body), then you immediately assert that running is good strength training. Huh?? Just exactly how does that work?

It is the most effective strength training from the waist down.  You have to complement it with the gym or something
significant, something I didn't do as a teenager but I do now.

> As I said, I agree about the benefits of exercise. At my age I am especially aware of the issues of osteoporosis. Thus my insistance on walking the golf course and carrying my golf bag, unlike 90% of the rest of the golfers on the course. I simply don't agree with you that running is the best and most effective form of exercise for everyone.

Nearly everyone, at least before they've drifted too far from shape that you need to do it safely.  After that point, you need
to do whatever you can to get back to a level where running makes sense.