[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

John Parsons bullwinklemouth at yahoo.ca
Sun Oct 24 00:20:49 PDT 2010

--- On Sun, 10/24/10, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> The easiest thing to do of course is to just create gravity
> by spinning. You could overcompensate if needed.

One of my big disappointments with the ISS was that as complex and expensive as it was, it wasn't designed to be "spun" for artificial G.

> However the viscous swimming should work for good skeletal
> stressing.  You could alternate that with something
> like a bounce room where you kick and push yourself from
> wall to wall for a while, stopping with some good shocks and
> negative Gs on the other wall.  I'm sure you could
> create some kind of fun sport.  You've read Ender's
> Game?

I conceive of a breathable atmosphere having extreme viscosity with low mass (so it can be boosted to orbit, although it would have application in 1G as well). I think such an environment would be excellent for designed exercise, although whether it could combat all the atrophy of weightlessness, would still be in doubt, I suspect.

Ender's Game sounds familiar, but I don't remember if I've read it. Relevance?

JP