[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Oct 24 10:59:54 PDT 2010

On 10/24/10 9:50 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Sun, 10/24/10, John Parsons<bullwinklemouth at yahoo.ca>  wrote:
>
>> Ender's Game sounds familiar, but I don't remember if I've
>> read it. Relevance?

You'd remember if you had read it.
> One of the methods used to teach strategy to the students at the military school was to use a bounce room, e.g. a large globe-shaped room. The opposing teams would enter from opposite sides of the room. When they entered, they would find different size and shape objects suspended in various configurations in the room. Prior to entry, they never knew what configuration (sizes, shapes, numbers) of objects they would find.
>
> The object of the game was to use the objects and various maneuvers of your troops within the room to defeat the opposing team.
>
> The relevance is that it would likely be a good form of zero-G exercise and it wouldn't take a lot of creativity to come up with a variety of interesting games, both individual and team, in such an environment.
>
>               ...ken...
Right, it was a key part of "Battle School".  The players wore suits and had weapons that were a form of laser tag.  When hit,
the players "died" by their suits freezing them in position so they became inert.  The idea was to accomplish many insights,
including 3D space thinking and creative strategy in general.

Some day, it will be an amazing set of movies.  There are rumors periodically about an Ender's Game movie.  Although the jumps
in time, focus, style, and genre between books may be tough to deal with.  Or a boon.