[FoRK] disk space costs less than bandwidth, and both cost less than time

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 26 14:41:23 PDT 2010

--- On Tue, 10/26/10, Kevin Marks <kevinmarks at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're missing the primary source of data, which is personal photos and
> videos. I can easily fill an 8GB card in a couple of hours of video and
> photo shooting.
> Sending this over the net will cost more and take longer, largely because
> network designers made them asymmetric the wrong way, so local storage for them makes sense.

It's not so much that they made them asymmetric the wrong way. The problem is that they made them asymmetric and then locked the asymmetry in one direction. That direction is, of course, the "right" way some of the time. For some folks, perhaps even most of the time. But when it's not, it's irritating. Especially when you consider it need not be that way.

Back in the days of ISDN (only the really old folks on here will remember that), we had an asymmetric version. It was really useful because it would "load sense" and switch the fat side to the direction the bigger load was travelling. Now that I think about it, even the high speed dial modems (now you gotta be practically ancient) I ran my BBSs on did that.

The technology to do it is trivial and mature so why not aDSL??

          ...ken...