[FoRK] disk space costs less than bandwidth, and both cost less than time

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Oct 26 15:53:08 PDT 2010

On Oct 26, 2010, at 3:31 PM, Sean Conner wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo once stated:
>>
>> The technology to do it is trivial and mature so why not aDSL??
>
>  Because reversing the flow means you are serving, and only companies serve
> content.  So shut up and consume!  But only mandated content approved by the
> RIAA and MPAA!

Part of the logic behind the asymmetric bandwidth is that you can sell an expensive full-duplex interface at a peering point twice.  Big server farms and people downloading video streams are consuming almost perfectly disjoint resources because the packets are going in opposite directions.

In other words, it is asymmetric because they already sold your egress bandwidth to someone else. You can buy both sides but you have to pay for both sides.  I doubt most people would find the symmetry to be worth the money.