[FoRK] disk space costs less than bandwidth, and both cost less than

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Wed Oct 27 02:48:35 PDT 2010

On 26 Oct 2010, at 10:02pm, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I tend to regard disks, especially consumer disks, as unreliable,
> semi-discardable medium, requiring burn-in, redundant assemblies
> capable of tolerating 2-3 nonrecoverable device errors during
> resilver/rebuild with periodically scheduled diagnostics and
> recovery, using redundancy and checksums allowing reconstruction
> of lost or mutated data.

Is there anything other than ZFS that provides these capabilities? (At least, anything that is likely to be feasibly usable in a SMB/SOHO context.) If not, does the likely need to pay Oracle an ongoing (Solaris) license fee not worry you?

> I found investing in a little QoS (pfSense) is well worth here.

What kind of QoS has proven useful? I mean, is limiting (bittorrent) or boosting (VoIP) or something-more-complicated the right approach? (Just switched to 30/7.5 here using FTTC/VDSL for £50 a month.)

> I no longer delete private data. Typically, I by now have a mess
> of multiple copies of data spread over different systems and
> filesystems. It's all somewhere out there, honest. And usually
> I can even find it, thanks to locate & friends.

The only reason that I'm deleting stuff these days is because managing it otherwise is hard. Email is a good example - there still doesn't seem to be any email infrastructure that works well if I have >1m messages easily accessible and well organised. http://notmuchmail.org is great, but it doesn't interact well with other clients (phone, etc.).