[FoRK] disk space costs less than bandwidth, and both cost less than

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Oct 27 03:09:44 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:48:35AM +0100, David Edmondson wrote:

> Is there anything other than ZFS that provides these capabilities?

Linux is not nearly there, though it can do RAID 6 (though I'd
probably go RAID 10 on large drives, as resilvering RAID 6
on ~2 TByte drives would take forever) and scrubbing. btrfs
might or might not get there eventually, but the moment I
see more and more warning signs that it could never become
useful in production.

FreeBSD does support zfs, though:

FreeBSD before 7.3 is ZFSv6.

FreeBSD 7.3, 8.0, and 8.1 are ZFSv14.

FreeBSD 8-STABLE (which will become 8.2) is ZFSv15.

FreeBSD 9-CURRENT (which will become 9.0) has experimental patches
available for ZFSv28.

(from a recent post by Freddie Cash to zfs-discuss@).

> (At least, anything that is likely to be feasibly usable in a
> SMB/SOHO context.) If not, does the likely need to pay Oracle
> an ongoing (Solaris) license fee not worry you?

As an end user, I can use whatever I want. I expect Solaris
and the associated ecology to die a slow death, despite a
number of potential forks.

> > I found investing in a little QoS (pfSense) is well worth here.
>
> What kind of QoS has proven useful? I mean, is limiting (bittorrent)
> or boosting (VoIP) or something-more-complicated the right approach?
> (Just switched to 30/7.5 here using FTTC/VDSL for £50 a month.)

pfSense (I'm moving to 2.0 BETA at the moment, which is
stable enough for uncritical production) has a quite sophisticated
traffic shaper, and a decent wizard to prime the pump.
The 2.0 offers traffic shaping by interface, by queue,
limiter, layer 7 and several wizards with categories like
single LAN multi WAN, single WAN multi LAN, multiple
LAN/WAN and dedicated links. This is all new, and I have
no idea how well they work -- I just expect it works
much better than in 1.3.

> > I no longer delete private data. Typically, I by now have a mess
> > of multiple copies of data spread over different systems and
> > filesystems. It's all somewhere out there, honest. And usually
> > I can even find it, thanks to locate & friends.
>
> The only reason that I'm deleting stuff these days is because
> managing it otherwise is hard. Email is a good example - there
> still doesn't seem to be any email infrastructure that works
> well if I have >1m messages easily accessible and well organised.
> http://notmuchmail.org is great, but it doesn't interact well
> with other clients (phone, etc.).

I have two email accounts, one of them is a permanent mutt
session in a screen jail. It's even mbox (a recipe for
corruption, if you're pushing several 100 k messages),
not Maidir, on a suitable fs (maybe on SSD or hybrid pool),
and exported via IMAP.  I will probably sometime turn it
into a Maildir, with full text index and a web interface as well as IMAP,
but I'm using less and less email (since everybody else
is slowly abandoning it), and basic regexp searches mutt
offers are quite enough. It's not hurting badly enough.

On my Gmail account, which I'm synchronizing to multiple
IMAP folders I'm currently using about 3.5 GByte. Thunderbird
does have a rather braindead full-text search function.