[FoRK] 5,057 janitors in the U.S. with Ph.D.’s

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 27 13:18:30 PDT 2010

--- On Wed, 10/27/10, Jim Whitehead <ejw at cs.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Also, typically teaching-only positions at top schools are
> not tenure track.

And isn't that one of the most stupid features of our post-secondary institutions. Why do we call them "institutions of higher learning" when the resources are focussed on publishing papers rather than helping the students learn?

It seems to me it's rather a bait-and-switch deal; the universities advertise their specialties and trumpet their lead researchers to get the students in the door. Then we take their money and they never see anyone but temps and teaching assistants.

          ...ken...