[FoRK] Global population increase coming from an unexpected direction?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Oct 28 15:37:03 PDT 2010

On 10/28/10 7:12 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 02:36:09PM +0200, Dave Long wrote:
>
>> Daedelus once suggested a high pressure xenon atmosphere with just

There are already breathable liquids.  One use is high pressure.  I thought of that, although you'd have to wear goggles to see well
probably.  And liquid/gas transition would be annoying.

>> enough oxygen to breathe.  I've quite forgotten what the purpose was,
>> but I do remember that, having the opposite effect as helium, a likely
>> side effect would be "goofy voices" or worse...
> Side effect would be death (xenon is an anaesthetic).

Not so noble of a gas??  It's expensive anyway, or used to be.  In 1984 at GE, we had a tiny canister (about personal oxygen
cylinder size) of it as part of the mixture for the arc lamps we were producing.  They said it cost $25K for the contents.