[FoRK] 2009 Distribution of Wealth in the US

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Nov 8 17:52:42 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 09:31:35PM +0000, James Tauber wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 07:30:39PM +0000, James Tauber wrote:
> >
> >> The redistributionalists can't have it both ways. Either the rich *do*
> >> pay a lot of tax OR wealth and income aren't strongly correlated.
> >
> > Income != taxable income.  Intentional obtuseness is *so* last decade.
>
> I thought the issue was Lorin using W-2 income distribution as equivalent
> to wealth distribution (or, at the very least, a good indicator of it).

W-2 income distribution is one of the few indicators we have of wealth
distribution.  It's not a great one, but it's hard to get statistical info
on personal income that's hidden from taxation, and very hard to get
statistics on personal wealth.

You got anything better?

> Either W-2 income distribution is not a good indicator of wealth
> distribution (in which case the subject of this thread is disingenuous)
> or it is.

Are you arguing that there is no correlation between income and wealth?

Also, are you arguing that people do not avoid taxes?