[FoRK] 2009 Distribution of Wealth in the US

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Mon Nov 8 19:10:40 PST 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 2:58 AM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM, James Tauber <jtauber at jtauber.com> wrote:
>> No, but the people in the top 10% income-wise pay more than 10% of the income tax....
>
> And makes far more than 10% of the income.

Yes, but the percentage tax burden is even higher than the percentage income.

The Top 10% (by household income) earned 41.6% of the income in 2006 but paid 55.4% of the federal tax (and 72.8% of the income tax)

http://www.cbo.gov/publications/collections/taxdistribution.cfm

It's irrelevant to my point whether this is too much or not enough. My point is that *if* you argue numbers like this aren't a true measure because they are just talking about income, not wealth, then I don't think you can turn around and use income distribution figures to talk about wealth distribution.

James