[FoRK] Income distribution changes over the last 30+ years

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Nov 10 23:40:50 PST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 11:19 PM, Reza B'Far wrote:
> IMHO Income distribution does matter, per se, if the masses start to see that there are huge inequity despite how hard they may try, etc. etc.

The problem you are getting at is what happens when net consumers significantly exceed the number of net producers in an economy *and* you have a political system that grants franchise such that the political power rests with the net consumers. Yeah, you always have the pitchforks-at-the-gates problem, but that really isn't the case here for the most part.

It does not seem that the core issue is that people are being robbed blind or some such (though there is some of that) but that people are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they produce diminishing value in a modern economy. Deadweight wants to be paid the wage they were accustomed to back when things were less efficient but no one can afford it anymore *and* it is easier to detect and excise said deadweight.

Bottom line, our society is not prepared to deal in a constructive way with the reality that a rapidly growing fraction of the population are hopelessly net consumers.