[FoRK] this is your brain on vim

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Dec 15 21:54:27 PST 2010

On 12/15/10 2:47 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Dude, vim suxorz!  Everybody knows that.  Is there anybody who is not
> aware that vim is teh suck?

Everyone should know the basics of VI and Emacs editing.  Thankfully, we've been able to forget Wordstar, the VAX editor, and others.

The VI type of modality isn't necessarily bad, although I don't find it efficient or pleasant at all.  The biggest problem with VI
is lack of (Emacs level) features, but newer editors, and of course VIM mode in Emacs, can give those to you.

The biggest mistake in programming editors came from, you guessed it, Microsoft.  Forget keystrokes, windows, modes, etc.  Some
_dumbass_ at Microsoft decided to solve the code indenting problem by defaulting tab characters to 4 characters.  Which has caused
chronically misformatted code for everyone all the time.  Well thank you very much.  Never mind that Emacs had finessed the problem
decades before with intelligent indent, automagically using tabs / spaces as necessary, along with 'backspace-hacking-tabs' to make
it completely painless.

Recently, Eclipse finally put in enough features to do the right thing.  And Visual Studio can be configured correctly.  Of things I
still use, only Qt Creator has major deficiencies here.  Anyway, although I got pretty far convincing people and getting IDEs
reconfigured, I finally had to configure Emacs to go all spaces to solve this for very mixed teams.

And then you have to get people to stop corrupting files with half /r/n and half /n.  (Luckily I never see /r.)  And get subversion
or whatever repository to not consider lines with differing endings to be different...  It doesn't really matter anymore which files
are "DOS" vs. "Unix".

Still, nothing beats Emacs (and a few scripts) for programming and general heavy lifting.  Just use it along side your IDE and use
refresh / auto refresh.

--
Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st