[FoRK] <nettime> del.icio.us shutting down, end of "Web 2.0" now official

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Dec 17 14:19:38 PST 2010

On 12/17/10 12:44 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Florian Cramer<fc-nettime at pleintekst.nl>  -----
>
> From: Florian Cramer<fc-nettime at pleintekst.nl>
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:21:48 +0100
> To: nettime-l at kein.org
> Subject:<nettime>  del.icio.us shutting down, end of "Web 2.0" now official
>
> Today, it has been announced that Yahoo will shut down del.icio.us,
> the site that epitomized (and perhaps even triggered) the notion of
> a "Web 2.0":
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/17/yahoo_products_axe_delicious_altavista_buzz/
>
> It's interesting to see how a meme has been slowly fading, and now got
> the official nail in the coffin. "Web 2.0" always has been more than
> questionable being an exploitation of network culture rhetoric for
> centralized corporate services, and with its destruction of the DIY
> homepage web. But at least it involved a multitude of web sites/services
> and community activities such as self-run blogs, Wikis and Barcamps.
> Today, all these services have been more or less replaced by Facebook

Eh??  Facebook does not replace any of those things for anything that I am interested in, except "How are you?" for family and a
couple friends.  And even for that, I find it shallow and not very compelling.  Better than nothing, but easily surpassed.

> and, to a lesser degree, Twitter (with the latter stalling, too,
> according to
> http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/twitters_growth_slows_down_dramatically.php).

Twitter was always BuddyList/IM with different characteristics and a great hook with SMS.  The culture and mindset, especially
hashtagging, is the valuable asset.  It is one of those cases where educating and convincing the public in general is a big win.
The utility could easily be replaced, morphed, federated, whatever.  Twitter is smart to go toward dev / utility usability as
hamhanding it will invite competition.  Fall off is expected as some use cases were weak.  Any avenue that makes large / famous /
useful entities willing to provide a feed of information for anyone to use for anything is useful.  Details aren't that important
and easily replaced.

> -F

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st
facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer