[FoRK] Top general purpose languages: Practical choices for app logic / presentation & web / server apps

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jan 18 12:20:26 PST 2011

A few years ago, I used Visual Studio with C# / .NET along with Emacs doing a Java half of the project.  There are some nice
things about Visual Studio, but a lot I did not like.  Now, a friend of mine has an uber cool plugin that shows the entire
current source file as sort of a thumb-strip on the right.  I'm going to imitate that somewhere some day.  But otherwise, I'm
just as happy in Eclipse as Visual Studio (except perhaps the GUI speed on MacOS).

And, most of the time, I'm back to Emacs with alternation to the IDE.  I toggle back and forth in the same development sessions
depending on whether I want context sensitive help.  Even those IDEs that can be configured with Emacs keystrokes are no match
for Emacs.  In any case, since I only boot up Windows to run certain programs or test a build, Visual Studio is unlikely to help
me.  Currently, I develop mobile apps in Java & C++ and desktop apps in Qt/C++.  Qt is so good, I can generally work in any of
the three environments (MacOS X, Linux, or Windows) and be sure that almost everything will map well.  You have to keep a few
things in mind, but they are minor and stable.  (ctrl vs. command, etc.)

I did read about LINQ several times.  It reminds me of RDBMS code generators I've written in the past.  It's cool, but I'm a
little more interested in implementing those as libraries that are nearly as easy to use.  Unless it is done in a completely
general way, and not a task-specific Visual Basic-like language hack, it remains a hack.  For example, could I implement my own
RDF graph query language using the same facilities?  (Interesting problems require a lot more than SQL/RDBMS.)  However, it is a
hack I wouldn't mind having.  I'm not going to switch back to C# just for that however.

In your opinion, what is the current viable range for C#/Mono/.NET?  What doesn't work yet?  Where can you not use it without
headaches (missing key libraries, etc.)?  How easy is it to interface with native C++?  With Java?

Stephen