[FoRK] Top general purpose languages: Practical choices for app logic / presentation & web / server apps

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Tue Jan 18 16:02:23 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Jeremy Apthorp <nornagon at nornagon.net>wrote:

> > 3. Server apps, web applications, web interface programming
>
> The door's wide open on this one, but I love node.js.

I am of the opinion that the antidote to facebook and google centralisation
is to encourage the proliferation of node.js "spaces" owned by individuals,
into which they can install their own server-based applications for handling
and storing their data, e.g. their email (in encrypted form), their
"facebook" analogue (something like diaspora but with a single server per
user), and so on, their "picassa" analogue, and whatever.

Basically, everyone should have their own domain name, and everyone should
have their own "server space" and server based storage over which they have
absolute control, or can delegate (all or part) of control.