[FoRK] Top general purpose languages: Practical choices for app logic / presentation & web / server apps

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jan 18 16:21:47 PST 2011

On 1/18/11 4:02 PM, Damien Morton wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Jeremy Apthorp<nornagon at nornagon.net>wrote:
>
>>> 3. Server apps, web applications, web interface programming
>> The door's wide open on this one, but I love node.js.
>>

> I am of the opinion that the antidote to facebook and google centralisation
> is to encourage the proliferation of node.js "spaces" owned by individuals,
> into which they can install their own server-based applications for handling
> and storing their data, e.g. their email (in encrypted form), their
> "facebook" analogue (something like diaspora but with a single server per
> user), and so on, their "picassa" analogue, and whatever.

Something like that would be cool.  There will be something big after Facebook.  It is just too broken and weak.  They might do it
if they are smart, but the current service is just another stepping stone.

> Basically, everyone should have their own domain name, and everyone should

Hopefully they are mostly subdomains.  Having everyone pay for domain registration plus some kind of hosting would be a lot more
revenue than Facebook is getting.