[FoRK] Decentralised Processing System, was Re: Top general purpose languages: Practical choices for app logic / presentation & web / server apps

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 17:26:35 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Damien Morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Jeremy Apthorp <nornagon at nornagon.net>wrote:
>

>> > 3. Server apps, web applications, web interface programming
>>
>> The door's wide open on this one, but I love node.js.
>>

> I am of the opinion that the antidote to facebook and google centralisation
> is to encourage the proliferation of node.js "spaces" owned by individuals,
> into which they can install their own server-based applications for handling
> and storing their data, e.g. their email (in encrypted form), their
> "facebook" analogue (something like diaspora but with a single server per
> user), and so on, their "picassa" analogue, and whatever.
>
> Basically, everyone should have their own domain name, and everyone should
> have their own "server space" and server based storage over which they have
> absolute control, or can delegate (all or part) of control.

Yes, I really like this idea, and once upon a time thought of something similar.

Do you have any plans to work on anything like that? Is there a
specific thing to work on? Could potentially base the filestore on
something like Tahoe: <http://tahoe-lafs.org/> and then just add the
processing capability in there. Definitely sounds like something
interesting to ponder in more detail.