[FoRK] NUI

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 26 20:55:35 PST 2011

--- On Wed, 1/26/11, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2011/01/26/microsoft-is-imagining-a-nui-future-natural-user-interface.aspx
>
> "Most people’s view of natural technology is sensory related – touch or
> speech – but Microsoft’s exploration into NUI is multi-dimensional. By
> combining sensory inputs with the knowledge of what you’re trying to do
> (contextual awareness), where you are and what is around you (environmental
> awareness), 3D simulation and anticipatory learning, we can foresee a future
> where technology becomes almost invisible. ..."

"Natural technology"?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

> " ... Imagine a world where interacting
> with technology becomes as easy as having a conversation with a friend."

Of course I can imagine something like this. What gives me difficulty is imagining that our current technology leaders will ever get us there. Straining to imagine anything like this -- hell, anything even remotely similar to this -- could *ever* come from Microsoft just gives me a migraine. And I don't get migraines.

          ...ken...