[FoRK] NUI

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 27 00:43:01 PST 2011

On 1/26/11 10:18 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Ken wrote:
> "Of course I can imagine something like this. What gives me difficulty is
> imagining that our current technology leaders will ever get us there.
> Straining to imagine anything like this -- hell, anything even remotely
> similar to this -- could *ever* come from Microsoft just gives me a
> migraine. And I don't get migraines."
>
> Yeah, I'm all over that.  Kinect blows me away in concept but in practice
> it's weeny.  It's tied to *Xbox*!  I know that gaming is a good application
> of the concept but it's a much less scalable idea.

They went after the market that is easiest to monetize at scale.  The dance game is great, for instance.

Microsoft has been hiring Phd's and other research types for a while now.  Luckily, we now have Google and others going after the
same types with a much better, for the most part, path to products and services.  However, perhaps Microsoft is finally getting out
of the stifle the customer / stifle the researcher modes and actually starting to innovating and developing something with all of
those billions in barely-earned profit.

> "Natural computing" is a new term to me, anyhow.  I've been doing TV
> internet apps these things, thinking a lot about the post-PC computing
> world, hadn't thought of it so elegantly as this Microsoft thing.

Couch apps.  10 ft. interface.  Fun.  Have a couple more things to conquer before I start slinging HTML5/JS seriously for those
apps.  I'm highly versed in Android now (presenting 2 times at AnDevCon on March 9th), so it's annoying that only the manufacturers
are allowed to develop Java/native apps for Google TV right now.  But there's still fun to be had.

What have you been creating?

sdw

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
>> wrote:
>> --- On Wed, 1/26/11, Lucas Gonze<lucas.gonze at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2011/01/26/microsoft-is-imagining-a-nui-future-natural-user-interface.aspx
>>> "Most people’s view of natural technology is sensory related – touch or
>>> speech – but Microsoft’s exploration into NUI is multi-dimensional. By
>>> combining sensory inputs with the knowledge of what you’re trying to do
>>> (contextual awareness), where you are and what is around you
>> (environmental
>>> awareness), 3D simulation and anticipatory learning, we can foresee a
>> future
>>> where technology becomes almost invisible. ..."
>>
>> "Natural technology"?? Isn't that an oxymoron?
>>

>>> " ... Imagine a world where interacting
>>> with technology becomes as easy as having a conversation with a friend."
>>>

>> Of course I can imagine something like this. What gives me difficulty is
>> imagining that our current technology leaders will ever get us there.
>> Straining to imagine anything like this -- hell, anything even remotely
>> similar to this -- could *ever* come from Microsoft just gives me a
>> migraine. And I don't get migraines.
>>
>>           ...ken...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st
facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer