[FoRK] America, F*ck yea...

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Mon Jan 31 12:29:20 PST 2011

laurent oget wrote on 1/31/2011 12:05 PM:
> I have heard the argument that the US Aid was going to the egyptian military
> while the tear gas was police equipment, hence purchased from the US, as
> opposed to gifted by.

Do you mean the military police, or the police military? It's all the
same, and even if they were different entities money doesn't work that
way. We give them that money to buy things from the US. I'm sure they
could have gotten MUCH cheaper tear gas from China :)

The 250M in economic aid is a different pile of money.

 From http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33003.pdf
(full of great info)

"The United States has provided Egypt with an annual average of $2
billion in economic and military foreign assistance since 1979. In
FY2010, the United States provided Egypt with $1.552 billion in total
assistance. Congress appropriated FY2010 aid to Egypt in two separate
bills: P.L. 111-117, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2010, included
$1.292 billion in economic and military assistance; and P.L. 111-32, the
Supplemental Appropriations Act, FY2009, contained $260 million in
FY2010 military assistance."

So, military net 1.3B in democracy suppression via tear gas. Of course,
all of that equipment will eventually be used to help liberate the
Palestinians from the Gaza prison camp. Which means Israel will order
the US military to get involved. Should be great for all the military
contractors wallets.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/