[FoRK] Impressive mostly-electric cars[1], amber waves of freedom[2], Apple/Google trounce Microsoft[3]

Kragen Javier Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 10:43:03 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 11:48:28AM -0800, Stephen Williams wrote:
> [2] Or at least domino revolutions that look promising.
> Was it Obama's 2009 democracy speech?
> Or Twitter?
> Bush?
>
> All of the above perhaps, and democracy (more or less) in Iraq and
> Afghanistan.

As long as we're talking about possible causes, we should mention
Wikileaks and Facebook, both of which have been cited by protestors on
the ground, and the economic crisis.

By contrast, I haven't heard anybody crediting Bush or Obama, although I
wasn't paying as much attention in the Tunisia case.  Quite the contrary
--- Egyptians are quite aware of how strongly Bush and Obama supported
and support the Mubarak regime, and hate them, and the US government has
been an ally of Tunisia for many years as well.

Kragen