[FoRK] America, F*ck yea...

Kragen Javier Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 11:16:18 PST 2011

Most of this post is not worth responding to, since it deconstructs
itself without any effort on my part, but I thought it was important to
respond to one point.

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 01:11:46AM -0800, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> Protestors taking pictures of CS canisters labeled "Made in USA" is
> not a bogeyman hunt.  Trying to link them to a supposed Israeli
> conspiracy to oppress Egyptians involving the manufacturer most
> certainly is.

It's not clear who you're accusing here, but to clarify, I am not
engaged in anything of the sort.  However, I think that Combined
Tactical Systems' choice to sell tear gas to the Egyptian police, while
flying the flag of Israel outside their headquarters, is likely to
worsen Egyptian opinions of Israel, and might even give rise to such
conspiracy theories.

On the other hand, it's clear that all three of the US government, the
Israeli government, and Combined Tactical Systems have condoned Mubarak
and his police force in human rights violations, and of the six possible
directions one of those three parties could be helping another (in
general, not specifically to oppress Egyptians), four are in evidence
and the other two are likely.  That doesn't amount to a "conspiracy",
because it could hardly be less secret, and by common definitions of
"conspiracy", it would also need to be illegal, which it isn't.

You can argue about how easy or hard it would have been to find a
replacement for Combined Tactical Systems, and thus about the size of
their contribution, but that doesn't really relate to the emotional
impact of the symbolism.

Kragen