[FoRK] Mesh over Egypt, mesh over Portland, we bring good things to light.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 4 02:23:51 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 03:59:37PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> As the long-ago 1:291/51 I agree with what you're saying.  I'll also add
> that everything you described for FidoNet applies equally well to the
> now-defunct global UUCP network, and to the still-kicking amateur packet
> radio network.  Both can also run over IP.

802.11n works quite well over LoS over alignede sat dishes. You'd
be in violation of EIRP, of course. But if you're a pirate Internet
op, that'd be the least of your worries.

> One of the particular advantages of the packet radio network is that it
> can operate on HF frequencies -- though a amateur radio license is
> necessary.  These frequencies permit global digital communications with
> transmitters in the 50-100W range and simple dipole (wire) antennas, and
> in many countries permit higher-gain antennas and much higher power.  It
> is the ultimate in "route around" if I can talk directly to a station in
> Japan from Kansas with no intervening telco, satellite, or other
> infrastructure.
>
> On the other hand, HF is vulnerable to changing atmospheric conditions
> and no single frequency is likely to be usable for intercontinental
> communications 24/7.  Also packet on HF typically runs at 300bps.  So,
> like everything else, it is no silver bullet.  Not suitable for video,
> and even photos of any kind of resolution questionable, but does well
> with text messages and can hook into the Internet at unencumbered points.

In practice you'd do quite nicely with a tinc overlay over existing
infrastructure. When they pull the plug, they rarely pull it completely.

Of course, on the long run, there'll be global sat constellations.
Getting all of them to selectively deny service over some patch of land
will be nontrivial to achieve.