[FoRK] Nokia partners with Microsoft, adopts Windows Phone 7

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Feb 11 08:18:35 PST 2011

Crazy Nokia.  That new president doesn't get it.  And I bet Microsoft pulled out all the stops to get someone to go their way.  Some
think that they didn't go Android because it is a commodity play.  Perhaps, but it has one of the hottest ecosystems and richest,
most open dev environment and capabilities.  With their existing dabbling in Linux and their ownership of Qt (which is already
available on Android for apps), Android would have been a natural path.  And the leading European company going, potentially, all
Microsoft, is an interesting choice.  The president mentioned a couple days ago that they were planning to move all of their
executives to Silicon Valley.  I hear the Nokia sign is already on some of the new offices in downtown Sunnyvale.

Similarly, at the HP WebOS developers event in SF on Wed, I was surprised that they are so single-minded about WebOS.  It seems
nice, but not necessarily competitive.  The idea of running their Javascript-based apps on both their devices and PCs is
interesting, depending on how deep it goes.  Their main idea is that everything can be done with Webkit with plugins to extend
Javascript, where "native" apps like games are nearly all plugin.  The native side of things is C++, SDL, and OpenGL, which could be
portable to a gcc toolchain.  But that whole model could also have been layered on top of Android.  Odd that they don't see the
advantages of that.

http://itwnewsletters.itworld.com/t/7182656/375513841/358252/0/