[FoRK] Nokia Catches MS

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Feb 11 14:13:51 PST 2011

;-)
On 2/11/11 10:39 AM, rst at ai.mit.edu wrote:
> Stephen Williams writes:
>   >  On 2/11/11 8:40 AM, rst at ai.mit.edu wrote:
>   >  >  Stephen Williams writes:
>   >  >
>   >  >    >   Crazy Nokia.  That new president doesn't get it.  And I bet
>   >  >    >   Microsoft pulled out all the stops to get someone to go their way.
>   >  >
>   >  >  They might not have had to pull too hard.  His last job was as
>   >  >  head of the Microsoft business division.  One take:  "Microsoft
>   >  >  just bought Nokia for $0":
>   >
>   >  Microsoft better be careful what they bite off.  Failure may be very painful at this level.
>
> They've already had a taste of it with the Kin (remember that?).
Barely, one of the shortest MS blips. Props for not dragging out the embarrassing train wreck.

> But they've already placed a massive bet on Windows Phone 7; I
> don't think this deal gives them anything *more* to lose...

This isn't struggling minor player. It is a faltering European rock star, now being headed by an executive from Microsoft. How's
that for implicating corporate intrigue?? I'll be curious what the EU finds when looking into _that_.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703786804576138081462040592.html?mod=WSJ_article_related

>       BY HESTER PLUMRIDGE AND MARTIN PEERS
>
> If Nokia is standing on a burning oil rig, as its new Chief Executive Stephen Elop says, Microsoft is hardly the Red Adair of
> smartphones.
>
> The cellphone giant is bleeding market share and struggling to bring innovations to market. But Mr. Elop's keenly awaited strategy
> update, with its centerpiece a broad-ranging partnership with Microsoft, seemed to stoke the flames. Nokia's shares fell 14% in
> Helsinki trading.
>
> Nokia is to adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone operating platform, rather than use its proprietary Symbian
> technologies. That was accompanied by a sensible organizational restructuring into ...

Revolution is in the air?
http://www.edn.com/blog/Now_Hear_This_/40505-Nokia_calls_in_Microsoft.php