[FoRK] I just had to do it

mdw at martinwills.com mdw at martinwills.com
Thu Feb 17 07:11:32 PST 2011

I myself have a State Supreme Court issue (it was transferred from the
State Court of Appeals because I inadvertently raised "Issues of first
impression, issues needing clarification, and applicability of the Rules
of Civil Procedure." -- I didn't want to do that since it added two more
months to the appeal) that I am appealing pro se.  I have filed 2 other
state civil matters and 1 federal civil rights matter pro se.  The things
that I have found out is 1) Lawyers and the Judges are long time friends.
2) In most states the court judges are elected -- and -- a judge today may
be a lawyer tomorrow pleading before the lawyer from yesterday.  So you
are hurting yourself as a pro se.

That being said... The Courts want you to present your case with as little
"jargon, scientific, or technical presentation". The matters are to be
simplified down to a 6th grade interpretation (the majority of US citizens
are at the 6th grade level and the COURT HAS TO provide rulings that the
majority of the average american can read and understand, in-order to
comply with the Constitution).  After reading your email... It appears you
are fighting a right turn citation at a no right turn on red intersection.
 You are trying to bring 'speed trap' legislation into the picture.  This
is going to present a problem.  Your highly technical 'tour de force' is
simply going to confuse a court that has thousands of cases outstanding
and is being read and interpreted by Judges without a scientific/technical
background.  Showing that you are intelligent is one thing...  Making
someone feel that they are dumb (when they are confused they feel dumb :-)
) is the wrong thing if they are the Judge(s) you want to persuade with
your arguments.

Finally, you are attempting to fight something that is 'officer's
discretion'.  All Courts in All States review this issue akin to 'If you
have video tape and a voice recording of the officer admitting that "he
deliberately targeted you or your action"' you MIGHT HAVE A SLIM CHANCE.
Discretionary decisions by officials are just that -- discretionary.  The
Court's rarely reverse discretionary decisions because it has a chilling
effect on the officials that make those decisions in the future (e.g. the
absolute immunity of almost all government entities is based on them
acting without the fear of suit based on unpopular decisions). ALL
Appellate Court's (State/Federal) will not "interfere with that discretion
absent a manifest abuse of discretion".  You have to fight this issue
proving a manifest abuse of discretion... The only way you can prove that
is to provide the Officer's work record showing multiple citizen/official
complaints, repeated 'training issues' or proving previous notoriety in
this same or equivalent situation by that officer...

So good luck and best wishes!!

--Martin--