[FoRK] car & tv internet

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Mar 8 19:13:46 PST 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Bill Kearney wrote:

>> I don’t think anybody in the music industry quite grasps how
>> much of an important opportunity lies in...
>
> I think that about sums up the music industry entirely.
>
> There's definitely something to be said for the DJ aspect of how music is consumed.  I've got upwards of 10k tracks of music and innumerable gadgets suitable for playing it back to me.  Yet I find the sat radio channels in the car to be the least annoying way to listen.  Trying to fiddle with my own playlists (made openly hostile on iPod devices) is too annoying. So-called genius features aren't.  Better to have a DJ do the work, maybe add a little patter and just get on with listening.

This is quite insightful, I had not really thought about it much until now (sitting at SFO reading this).  Building appropriate playlists is *still* an unserved market to my knowledge. A little bit contextual, which most companies are bad at, and if you have a really deep library then it is something that everyone is bad at. DJs are, in some contexts, still much better at introducing new music than computers.

I would pay money for a service that was able to (a) construct a playlist that incrementally extended my library in an intelligent way with new music and (b) was able to contextualize a playlist for a given point in time with a few cues so that I didn't have to. Anyone with a big-ass database of music is unlikely to have time to do this really well themselves through careful curation. There must be a better way.

+1 for a business opportunity. Granted, not trivial from an analytics standpoint. Like++.