[FoRK] Atrix / Xoom Details

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Mar 8 21:57:47 PST 2011

More details:
Nothing runs on the dock, it is a dumb keyboard/mouse pad (PC-like unfortunately, I commented that it should be Mac-level), LCD, and
battery/charger.  (I thought that was obvious, but apparently some are confused by the auto mode switch.)  The browser runs on the
phone, however it probably has a different mode or even perhaps a different executable that runs in dock mode.  There is a whole
more or less netbook looking desktop paradigm.  As soon as you unplug the phone, it shoes a typical phone desktop (MotoBlur I think,
it was mentioned a number of times).

Firefox looked pretty much normal, with tabs and everything.  It was a little sluggish, but not bad.  Overall, extremely impressive.

The other interesting thing is that the Xoom is officially (always I think) rootable: You are welcome to toggle a mode where you can
replace the installation, then change it back later when you want.  More or less specifically for development.  My assumption is
that the phone companies are the ones pushing hard against rooting phones and they have less of an argument with non-phone tablets.

Stephen