[FoRK] car & tv internet

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 10:04:44 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Bill Humphries <whump at mac.com> wrote:
> Yes, and let people discover what the D-Pad will do.
>
> At the moment, I have a list and detail on the screen, and I'm realizing that having both limits the interactions (changing focus is just maddening.)
>
> So next iteration I'll go with a list scrolled by the up and down keys, and hitting D-Pad right drops you into a new screen with the detail view.

D-pad oriented design is a bitch, but very necessary.

A live example of the scheme you're thinking of is AOL radio on a
couple TV platforms (forgetting which ones right now...).  It's really
simple to implement and covers a ton of ground.  In my own weekend
hacking it's the scheme I use.

The problem is that it forces you to scroll vertically, which is a no
no on a tv screen because the screen real estate is mainly horizontal.

For our next wave TV apps we have a three-level scheme - primary,
secondary, tertiary.  Primary is the top level global menus.  It's
horizontal and doesn't scroll.  Secondary is page-specific menus.
It's vertical and doesn't scroll.  Tertiary is content.  It's
horizontal and does scroll.