[FoRK] car & tv internet

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:46:01 PST 2011

Dpads....oh great  controller of generations of console gamers
(nintendo from the start right up thru the new ds's for one) ...thou
has amazed me with your uses in all manner of menu flicking, dragon
fighting, and now for controlling the world with my Droid phone. Heck,
just the  other night I was giving my younger kidsa tour of  the Space
Port in SecondLife on the bigscreen in the living room using my
Droid's dpad to control my desktop in my office that was running the
SL client.

The real secret sauce for the dpad to shine is in the proper working
of the hierarchical choice tree. I have seen some greats easy ones and
some nasty nasty drill down hells.

Speaking of music music everywhere...I have been loving where Subsonic
has taken things in my life. I have the server running on a box at
home with a punch thru to the intertubes...my music and vids any
where/when (so long as there is some sort of coverage) .

Curating...Yep the implementation of a smart/savvy curator/DJ has
immense value to many folks. My wive will not give up her Sirius
account no matter how many playlists I make her. Even "smart" content
generation algorithms are not a replacement for the masses wants. If
it were so I think Pandora would be more so than it is.

But yeah...Dpads....what cant they do?

-tom(returning you to bits)higgins