[FoRK] Microsoft paying Nokia $1 billion to use WP7

rst at ai.mit.edu rst at ai.mit.edu
Sun Mar 13 18:49:10 PDT 2011

Stephen Williams writes:

> I knew it...
> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/03/microsoft-paying-nokia-1-bill=
> ion-to-use-wp7-cheap-at-twice-the-price.ars
>
>    Microsoft paying Nokia $1 billion to use WP7? Cheap at twice the price

Am I the only person who thinks this is a somewhat weird way of
describing Nokia's choice?

Consider: the answer of most smartphone manufacturers to "WP7 or
Android" seems to be "both" --- that's certainly true of at least
Samsung, HTC, and LG.  And it's a choice that would have been easily
available to Nokia as well.  They almost certainly could have gotten
extensive engineering assistance from either software vendor just to
avoid getting locked out.  (Besides which, if Nokia was really worried
about having the engineering resources for only one platform, they
would have put Meego out of its misery, which they have strangely
failed to do.)

So, it doesn't look to me like Microsoft is paying Nokia $1G to ship
WP7.  It looks like they're paying Nokia $1G to *not* ship Android...

rst