[FoRK] Atrix / Xoom Details

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Mon Mar 14 13:47:17 PDT 2011

I'll be up front and say that if cost were not an issue, I'd probably buy an iPhone. The usability of the provided applications is streets ahead of the other offerings. The usability of many of the third party applications is very good. I worry about the lockdown and wish that it didn't exist (and I don't buy the argument that the lockdown is part of the reason that the usability is better).

Stephen argues that it's a great platform, but doesn't actually use an Android device as his phone. That must say something.

On 14 Mar 2011, at 8:19pm, Tom Higgins wrote:
> Just being able to get apps on the devices
> (as files, fromthe officail market or from thrid party markets)
> without rooting is a nice little feature.

Which applications do you use a lot for which there isn't a (good? better?) corresponding iPhone application in the official repository? Feel free to quote Benjamin Franklin at me here, of course.

Most of what I want to do with a phone can be done without installing any additional applications. Well, except on this Wildfire, because the pre-installed applications are so poor.

> UI wise its all about
> being able to do what I want with it; again...choice.

I don't think that this is true. Choosing to use a crappy UI is obviously your right. Refusing to produce something with a well thought out and consistent UI is a major failing for Android vendors.