[FoRK] Atrix / Xoom Details

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Mar 14 14:26:03 PDT 2011

On 3/14/11 1:47 PM, David Edmondson wrote:
> I'll be up front and say that if cost were not an issue, I'd probably buy an iPhone. The usability of the provided applications is streets ahead of the other offerings. The usability of many of the third party applications is very good. I worry about the lockdown and wish that it didn't exist (and I don't buy the argument that the lockdown is part of the reason that the usability is better).
>
> Stephen argues that it's a great platform, but doesn't actually use an Android device as his phone. That must say something.

The main reason is that WanFi works so well, and I use it often enough, and because with CDMA you can't do data & voice at the same
time, and because the Evo is taking a contract slot that a USB WanFi dongle was in, I ended up continuing to use the Pre for
phone/address book / IM/SMS and the Evo for everything else.  I could drop the Pre and get an iPhone (but be stuck with ATT or
Verizon) or get a new Pre or just another Android phone.  Letting it ride for the moment...  I have some reason to have Android,
Pre, and iPhone, although it could be any combination of phone/pad.

>> UI wise its all about
>> being able to do what I want with it; again...choice.
> I don't think that this is true. Choosing to use a crappy UI is obviously your right. Refusing to produce something with a well thought out and consistent UI is a major failing for Android vendors.

I don't buy the "consistent UI" thing much, especially for mobile apps.  There's no room to be "consistent".  Each core app has
completely different characteristics.  Outside of error dialogs and settings tables, everything else should be custom direct
manipulation and hyper optimized.  Previous Windows Mobile UI / apps had a Windows-like "consistent" interface, and they were awful,
and the phones overall were unusable, because of it.