[FoRK] Atrix / Xoom Details

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Mon Mar 14 14:47:50 PDT 2011

On 14 Mar 2011, at 9:26pm, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>> UI wise its all about
>>> being able to do what I want with it; again...choice.
>> I don't think that this is true. Choosing to use a crappy UI is obviously your right. Refusing to produce something with a well thought out and consistent UI is a major failing for Android vendors.
>
> I don't buy the "consistent UI" thing much, especially for mobile apps.  There's no room to be "consistent".  Each core app has completely different characteristics.  Outside of error dialogs and settings tables, everything else should be custom direct manipulation and hyper optimized.  Previous Windows Mobile UI / apps had a Windows-like "consistent" interface, and they were awful, and the phones overall were unusable, because of it.

Things can be consistently bad, I agree.

Here are two images to show how bad things are on this Wildfire (not my own images, but they show the UI in two applications provided with the phone).

The contacts application (observe the gratuitous rounding of things):
	http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GDI0HsL0RCE/TRDNFE1azYI/AAAAAAAAFro/qIrTvKdQgHo/HTC-Android-Contacts-Address.jpg

The Gmail application (surely should be a shining example of what Android can do):
	http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SS18DlBSIQ8/TJj4VUf1D3I/AAAAAAAAG3E/dUy6UyKeVVs/s400/android+gmail+updated+screenshot+2.png

If you didn't know better then you'd probably thing that, a) these are from completely different systems and b) that the contacts application just dropped through a time-warp from 20 years ago.

Of course there is room to be consistent. Having every application look and behave differently because they are hyper-optimized would result in no-one but the (one!) designer being able to use the phone.