[FoRK] Atrix / Xoom Details

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:04:35 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM, David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> wrote:
>the lockdown and wish that it didn't exist (and I don't buy the argument that the lockdown is part of the reason that the usability is better).

Lock down and the like are a deal breaker for me. Supporting being
treated like a child/criminal for wnating to put my own (or anyones)
apps on my own device makes any edge in hardware or OS fade into the
pr spin machine.

> Which applications do you use a lot for which there isn't a (good? better?) corresponding iPhone application in the official repository?

Browser wise I have been messing with Firefox but my the heavy lifter
is Dolphin Browser.
I loves me my GoogleVoice and it is well integrated. Greader anad
Gamil clients as well, both much used and loved. Gbooks is ok on the
phone but much more useful on the table where it runs like a champ.
GoogleListen I like, not love mind your but like. Since it ties into
my Reader feeds it is handy for remembering what I listened to already
on other devices.
Moonreader is a cool ebook app that connects to tons of book sources
(including my home Calibre server) and it uses the droids TTS to read
the books to me. And yes, I went and got a much better voice module
than what comes with.. I am using svox with the female British voice.
If I can get Stephen Fry to do a voice mod life would be so damn les
coolerz.
Watching flash, playing flash...yes it is the scourge of the net but
it has it uses and I like that I can use it on the device in my
pocket.
I love having SL4A handy http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
for when I want to dork around on some code....not that it has lead to
anything coherent enough to be called an app..
I also have a couple of versions of things I am working on as well as
an app a pal is working on.
Gremote is a damn handy app just for the keyboard and mouse control alone.

And then there are the apps, apps I got from the offical Android app
store mind you, that I rooted the phone for.
KWS web server
Wifi tethering with Barnacle
Ad Blockers
sshd
vnc server

I am sure I am leaving some out. these are just a few of my favorite things.

-tom(please do not get me started on why I hate mlb2011)higgins