[FoRK] Atrix / Xoom Details

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Wed Mar 16 01:19:28 PDT 2011

On 14 Mar 2011, at 10:24pm, Stephen Williams wrote:
> For instance: I'm sure this design principle has a well-known name, but I think of it as the "No Grid Rule": Compare the usability, especially in the dark etc., of a random off-brand remote control for TV/VCR/cable box/etc. vs. a Tivo or similar controller: The latter has special shapes, patterns, and arrangement that help you find your place and remember or guess function, even in the dark.

And if you have two remotes (one for the Tivo and another for the TV), you really want the power button to be in the same place (top left?) on both of them. If the two remotes both have volume and channel up/down buttons, you'd like them to be in similar places (left side for volume and right side for channels) so that you don't accidentally change channels when you get to a part of the programme that you _really_ want to hear.

We can get used to and become proficient with almost any interface. It's good if you don't have to learn completely afresh when switching between the contacts, calendar, email and gmail applications.

> Need I point out that this is a well-known mistake? To perhaps stretch the original meaning, but probably with some connection:
> http://www.bartleby.com/100/420.47.html
>> AUTHOR:Ralph Waldo Emerson <http://www.bartleby.com/100/420.html>(1803–1882) QUOTATION: A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. ATTRIBUTION:/Essays. First Series. Self-Reliance./

The key word being 'foolish'. Since when was foolish <anything> likely to be good?