[FoRK] Atrix / Xoom Details

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Wed Mar 16 01:24:26 PDT 2011

On 15 Mar 2011, at 12:15am, Bill Kearney wrote:

> My choice is based first on what's actually important, it's usability as a communications device.  Around here and the areas I travel that means using Verizon's network.   I don't give a rats ass about UI when the network drops calls.  Fast is worthless if it's not even available where I need it.  AT&T is worthless where I need to use the devices.

Agreed. This is less of an issue in the UK than the US - coverage is generally better here.

> Then there's the fact that Apple's policies are despicable, which makes their products unacceptable to me.  Thankfully Android devices step in to fill that void.  I likewise don't care to buy into notions about someone else's idea of being "well thought out" as a justification to deprive me of alternatives.  Personally I find many of the UI choices made on iOS to be inferior, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.  A friend's HTC has nice features but I find Motoblur on the D2 is pretty nice too.  Whinge all you want about "consistency" but each person gets the hang of their phone regardless of arguments about UI.  It's like houses, clothes, food or cars, no single way of doing things is necessarily any "better" than others.   As a result I greatly prefer going with products that offer genuine choice.

Ruling Apple products out because of their business practices is fine - it's a perfectly valid buying criteria. It doesn't affect whether or not the supplied product is better or worse engineered. As a non-developing casual user of the devices, Android seems very clearly to be a worse engineered product.