[FoRK] Management & Leadership, Knowledge, Creativity, Training/Learning

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Mar 20 12:53:21 PDT 2011

Searching for something else, I found the following document from 2001.  It is one of the more complete and most concise leadership
documents I've run across.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9191/Leadership

It is an old (but printable) version of the following material.  This site also has great information on knowledge, training /
learning, creativity, etc.
http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leader.html

This is interesting as the lead-in for Creativity:
http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/creativity/creativity.html
> Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, the author of /Flow/ <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060920432/bigdogsbowlofbis/>,
> describes ten traits of creative people. He writes the fifth one as harboring tendencies on the continuum between extroversion and
> introversion. Usually we tend to be one or the other. Indeed, in psychological research, extroversion and introversion are
> normally considered the most stable personality traits. Yet creative people seem to express both traits at the same time. And
> there are probably a couple of good reasons why.

A mention of Mihaly is always good.  I still remember reading Flow in the cafeteria at Bank of America in 1994...  Which,
ironically, reveals a break in my flow. ;-)  Or, more likely, indicates hyper-activated "photographic memory" because I had an
ah-hah moment.

Are you (Maslow) self-actualized? (Isn't that a pre-requisite for FoRK??)  (Do others do this much?: I like "casting" the "type" of
a phrase to disambiguate / hyper-specify.)
http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leadhb.html

>       Characteristics of self-actualizing people:
>
>     * Have better perceptions of reality and are comfortable with it.
>     * Accept themselves and their own natures.
>     * Lack of artificiality.
>     * They focus on problems outside themselves and are concerned with basic issues and eternal questions.
>     * They like privacy and tend to be detached.
>     * Rely on their own development and continued growth.
>     * Appreciate the basic pleasures of life (e.g. do not take blessings for granted).
>     * Have a deep feeling of kinship with others.
>     * Are deeply democratic and are not really aware of differences.
>     * Have strong ethical and moral standards.
>     * Are original, inventive, less constricted and fresher than others

His site is mentioned here:
http://management.about.com/od/leadership/Leadership.htm

This is also cool, but subscription ($19/mo.).
http://www.mindtools.com/

I cannot help but feel that ITIL is yet another certification / process a semi-scam.  Poor Europeans.  At least, I get the feeling
that it is commonly used and/or required.  Some good info though.
http://www.itil-officialsite.com/

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st
facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer