[FoRK] Plumbing, power, sign posts - getting simple things wrong

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Mar 21 04:33:56 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 09:49:02PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

> How, even in the 70's, do you get simple plumbing so wrong?  They should
> have had 3 redundant systems, one of which included a pipe some distance
> away that simply required input of water.

Anything that begins with "people should" is a losing proposition.
They don't do you that favor, and you can't make them.

> Re: Terrible bus accident in NY: The road department has to share some of
> the blame.  Not culpable, but certainly they were negligent to some
> extent for putting an immovable force on the side of a major highway.
> There is no reason to do this: Either anchor signs and lights past a
> guardrail, or make them shearable.  You might notice that most highway
> and street light poles are thin metal sheerable poles.  Whether by design
> or not, this has probably saved many lives by not splitting impacting
> vehicles in two as much.
>
> Simple principles, zero modern technology, disasters that could have been averted with no significant cost.
>
> Perhaps this is a good opportunity to educate everyone on nuclear science

I'm slightly informed on nuclear science, operation realities,
business constraints and human nature. Verdict: not viable.

We would be so fucked, but luckily we can do well without.

> while not overly activating the nucular paranoid.  Hopefully we'll now A)
> replace our old reactors and B) build a few more while we're at it.  And
> C) get a better plan for disposing / recycling of spent fuel.

Yo, check dis out

http://www.renewablesinternational.net/yes-we-have-no-base-load/150/537/29353/