[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Tue Mar 22 16:29:31 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Bill Humphries <whump at mac.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2011, at 4:15 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/21/pro-nuclear-japan-fukushima
> > Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power
>
> Number of people missing attributable to Fukushima: 1
> Number of people dead attributable to Fukushima: 0
>
> Number of people missing attributable to earthquake and tsunami: 13,000
> Number of people dead attributable to earthquake and tsunami: 9,000

This is a bullshit argument too.

Fukushima is a narrowly averted disaster on top of a disaster.

We dont know how much radioactive material has been flushed into the
environment, and while the number of deaths TO DATE are 0, we dont know how
many will be attributable to Fukashima in the years hence. We do know it
could have been much much worse, with the possibility of 10s or 100s of
thousands of radiation attributable deaths over 10s of years. All that would
have been needed is a bigger earthquake or a bigger tsuami, and they exists
and will come in any give 100 year period.

What Fukashima teaches us is that if we have nuclear plants, they should be
plants with passive safety systems rather than active safety systems. There
are any number of designs for such systems, including the Liquid Fluoride
Thorium Salt reactors and various other reactors as well.