[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Mar 22 16:45:59 PDT 2011

On 3/22/11 4:20 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 4:15 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/21/pro-nuclear-japan-fukushima
>> Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power
> Number of people missing attributable to Fukushima: 1
> Number of people dead attributable to Fukushima: 0
>
> Number of people missing attributable to earthquake and tsunami: 13,000
> Number of people dead attributable to earthquake and tsunami: 9,000
>
> -- whump

Number of people missing or dead attributable to earthquake and tsunami in the last 6 years: More than 300,000
Number of people dead attributable to nuclear power: About 5-8 since 2004, about 60 if you include Chernobyl (with up to 4000
projected from illness due to radiation).  And few would count Chernobyl as possible as we would never build something that primitive.

http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=161867

http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/visualizations/2e5d4dcc4fb511e0ae0c000255111976/comments/8734c0f0503811e08286000255111976